January 1, 2010

It's a New Year.....


I have decided to set some New Year's Resolutions for myself that might help me feel a little accomplished as another year flies by. I know that they need to be something that is within my reach, but something that will make me feel better about myself as I meet them. I have chosen a few areas to set goals in, I am kinda getting some help with this from a friend of mine. :)

Financial: I would like to start to pay off debt and no longer use credit cards. In order to reach this goal I will need to start to build a savings for emergency purposes. I realize this goal will take longer then a year, but this will be my year to quit adding to the problem and to fix it. I will need to start living within our means and really think about all those impulse purchases. I am hoping this will be the start of a great habit.

Intellectual: I would like to reach out of my comfort zone at work and begin to take on the challenges that might help me expand intellectually.

Social: This one is a little more difficult. We have lived in our house for 2 1/2 years and I only know a handful of people in our neighborhood. I would like to reach out and make some new friends. I would also like to make some more time for old friends that I dont see enough.

Spiritual: I need to make sure we have family scripture study and family home evenings. I also need to work on my own personal scripture study. I am making a goal of reading the Book of Mormon this year on my own.

Physical: I have so much work to do in this area..... I am going to start small and hopefully I can make some life changes enough to reach my big goal of someday running a marathon. Now I have never, never been able to run, so this is huge for me. I have asthma that makes it really hard but I am hoping to do this someday. My goal for now is to lose XX amount of pounds (XX= no way am I posting that) I will need to change my diet to quit drinking so much carbonation and eat more fruits and veggies. I am also going to work out at least 30 minutes 5 x a week. I dont care what it is, the wii fit, walking, water aerobics or just going at it on our punching bag. I MUST do it 5 x a week.

Organizational: I will get my scrapbook room organized this year. When we moved 2 1/2 years ago I was thrilled to have a scrapbook room and I just ended up using it as my catch-all, junk hole. I want to get it cleaned out and even if I dont use it for scrapbooking, at least be able to find a freaking sticker when I need it. Along with that I need to get all my photos backed up off my computer for 2009.

Emotional: K I am going to copy the friend of mine that I stole the catergories from ( Thanks, Ruth, I hope this is ok) As I read hers, I laughed because I am in the exactly same boat. So my goal is to write in my journal at least once a week. I, like my friend, have a few hilarious journals from my teenage years and only a handful of entries from after I have been married. That is more then a decade!! I am grateful for this blog and I have this to look back at and remember all the fun things we have done, I just need to start recording some more personal things.

Well, there they are and I hope I didnt bore you all too badly. I just had to lay it all out there so I could not only remember them, but also feel accountable because I am not the only one who knows about them.

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Wonderful goals! (And of course it's okay for you to use the same idea!) :) Good luck!
And for fantastic help with the financial goal, may I suggest you check out www.utahsaves.org?

Darcy said...

These are wonderful goals. I love that you sepearated them into different aspects of your life!

Jessica said...

I have XX amount of pounds to lose too. ;) I like the 30 minutes 5 times a week goal. That sounds really manageable.

Jessi said...

I like your goals. Especially the one about hanging out with old friends more. We need to have a girls night! And you need to come!!!

But seriously, good luck with all of it! I have a couple. Weight loss is definitely in the plan. But it always is I think. :) I love them all and they gave me some ideas for my own.. Hope you don't mind :)

I'm jealous that you have a scrapbook room! After you clean it all out, call me! I would LOVE to come over and scrapbook! I'll help you organize it!